SVSFE is all about
“Giving Fish a Helping Hand”
- Education – to produce and distribute information designed to educate the general public on the methods, needs and advisability of preserving and improving habitat for game fish species
- Research & Enhancement – to encourage, fund and undertake scientific research with a view to the enhancement of game fish habitat
- Fundraising – to conduct fundraising ventures to promote fisheries enhancement, research and education
Swan Valley Sport Fishing Enhancement Inc. is one of the oldest sport fishing groups in the Western Region, formed in 1985 and incorporated in 1987. It all began with a group of men interested in bettering their local fisheries. They often held fishing derbies, organized and assisted in fish transfers and provincial stocking, purchased fish to stock in local lakes, installed docks to improving angling access, and held fishing seminars.
Today, this non-profit volunteer group still shares the common passion for fishing but has advanced by becoming actively involved in fisheries management activities. SVSFE members are dedicated to working by their mandate of conducting fisheries research, enhancement and education. This passion has spread throughout the community, with new partnerships being created every year.
SVSFE has been recognized for these efforts from both provincial and federal levels;
- In 1997, a recipient of the “Canada Recreational Fisheries Award”
- In 2014, received the “Sustainability in Water and Natural Area Stewardship” under the Manitoba Excellence in Sustainability Award.
It was recently in 2009, when the group started accessing external funding more frequently to operate the projects portion of the organization. The projects component of the organization is nothing new. Although with fisheries related grants now available, SVSFE has been able to have technicians/staff carry our various projects, research and educational activities on a fairly regular/seasonal basis. By incorporating the love for fishing in our valley and encouraging families and individuals to explore and experience what our fisheries have to offer is how this group truly succeeds.
Currently the group is made up of 12 directors who are focused on creating partnerships, education, fundraising, fishing access and habitat enhancements. Please explore our site or Facebook Page to learn more about the projects and activities SVSFE have done and are doing now!
President: Jeff Connolly
Vice President: Duane Whyte
Treasurer: Phil Yakielashek
Holly Urban, Project Manager / Fisheries Technician
Brock Koutecky, Fisheries Technician
Megan Paterson, Fisheries Technician
Nick Connolly – Summer Student (2016)
Janna Werbicki – Summer Student (2017)
How To Become A Member!
Each year new and old members renew or become apart of the organization by purchasing a ticket to our annual banquet and every year members are invited to become directors at our Annual General Meeting in March. Becoming a director enables you to directly influence sport fishing in the Swan Valley area.
"You don't have to be an expert in fishing ....."
If you love to fishing and want to take part in SVSFE activities, you can start by becoming a SVSFE Director, Member or Volunteer! There are various ways to contribute and every helping hand makes a difference.
- Joining the executive and become active in group activities
- Share feedback on our local fisheries; submit daily catches & tagged fish returns, participate in interviews
- Becoming a member by purchasing a banquet ticket and attending our annual fundraiser. Members are welcome to meet and bring forward ideas for sport fishing to our executive.
- Share experiences & knowledge in fisheries practices, research, management
- Volunteer or Partner on projects! There are many ways to give back: fundraising events, participate in research, enhancement & education activities; transfer projects, stocking, youth fishing days, fish camp, installing docks, improving trails, promotional activities, the list goes on.
If you are interested in being on the board
we are always welcoming active directors with new ideas.